Tuesday, January 11, 2011

6th post?

Apparently we need a sixth... and final blog post about our book. Even though I about 99% positive Mr. Kramer told us we only needed 5 even though the sheet said 6.  Well although I already made my closing post a post early I might as well say some more of the repetitive things I keep saying. This one is going to be brief. Basically, if there is anything I have learned from reading Under the Banner of Heaven, it is this. Never move to Utah, they will try and convert you. They try and persuade you by saying that they are one of the lost tribes of Israel and that they are brothers to the Jewish people. LIES. They are brothers to the people over in those Lunatic Asylums. That is really how I would compare them. People always believe that they are entering to get help and the end result will be good, people always try to leave, and they always keep dragging you back in. Its the truth, haven't you ever seen Shutter Island. Haha, obviously I am exaggerating a little bit, but when looking back on what I read all of the stories were about people who wanted to get out of the religion... not get in. We owe that to Krakauer being pretty good at his job of investigative journalism. Putting aside the past. The past is the past, Joseph Smith was, and now he isn't. Looking at the LDS and FLDS of today's world, it is not a religion you would want to get caught up in. It is a religion that relies on violence and incest. It is a religion that when you read between the lines you read DANGER. Maybe that is just Krakauer's point, but he is very good at what he does and is very well known, so I am guessing that he knew what he was doing when he wrote the book.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I lived in Utah for a year and it was awesome! Great place to live, good people, nice place to raise a family, phenomenal skiing and outdoor activities. Being Jewish, I actually felt very in touch with my religion while I was there-perhaps because it was a small and unique Jewish community.

    ReplyDelete